5 Things to Prepare for your High School Senior Session *Colorado Springs High School Senior Photography*


Hi guys. I'm taking a quick break with the session shares and give you some of my insights about getting ready for a high school senior session.


1. Plan your outfits. Consider how you want to remember your last year of High School.
"What do I wear?" is always the first question that I get from my teen clients. It is a very important portraiture session and I can't blame them for making this their number one priority. The answer I almost always say is that you need to think about what you want to remember about your last year of high school. You can be trendy but think about how that neon green top, for example, would look like in twenty years. Would that remind you of the fun times you had in high school? or would it make you cringe that you fell trap for that one "fashion faux pas" of your generation? My role is always an adviser so I usually suggest colors, textures and styles but I will never tell you what you can or can't wear.



2. Incorporate sports/extra curricular activities or hobbies into your shoot.
I'm a big advocate of getting your sports or extra curricular activities or hobbies included in your session. If you think about it, what you do outside of Math or English class is a big part of your high school years. Are you a football player? Then we need to capture you in your school jersey. Are you part of the school band? Then we should photograph you along with your instrument. Plus a photo is much easier to store than a thick leather man's jacket or the tuba that you have been lugging for four years.


3. Layer clothes for easy outfit changes and more variation in your images.
High School senior sessions usually run an hour for me and although that sounds like a lot of time, if you add outfit changes into equation, the actual time of shooting can be cut short. That's why one of the things I suggest to my teen clients is to layer outfits. Put on a denim jacket over that maxi dress or a have a fun tank top underneath that cute blouse. When you take off the jacket or the cute blouse, you can reveal another entirely new top that can give you more variety in your images.


4. Get it done before your senior year starts.
Senior portraits are best done in the springtime of your junior year or the summer before senior year. This way you can get it done before the class starts, leaving you more time to enjoy your last year of high school. A summer session is also so much nicer than a winter shoot, giving your photos much more color and depth. Plus don't forget that yearbook photos are usually due around September or October and getting it done way before school starts leaves you (and your parents) stress free as you start senior year.


5. Hire a photographer that will have fun with you.
With our age of "seflies", kids are not too hesitant about being in front of the camera. But let's face it, high school senior pics are just too important and lasts longer, that you don't want any shyness or nerves to get the best of you. That's why I always try to make my high school senior sessions fun. I talk a lot with my teen clients, getting them at ease and not focused too much on keeping a smiling face for a whole hour. I also like to get my clients' suggestion for posing and background ideas. This helps me infuse their personality in the images. Let's face it, if you are not having fun, it will show in your photos and Photoshop can't change that!

So there you have it. I hope these tips help you make your senior portraits memorable and enjoyable.

If you or someone you know are getting ready to reach this important milestone, call (719-447-7838) or email me (click on the link on the side bar of this blog) and let's get their session in the books.

Signing off,
Grace

Comments

Popular Posts