5 Things to do to prepare for your newborn session *Colorado Springs Newborn Photography*

Hello friends. This year I plan on sharing some tips and suggestions on different topics relating to photography. Some are geared for specific sessions and others are for when you are the one behind the camera. I hope that my time tested tricks will help you in capturing special memories, one photograph at a time.


1. Give baby a bath. We all know that after a nice bath, it makes us feel relaxed and ready to doze off. Such is the case with little babies too. Although I have photographed babies that are awake, it's better when they are asleep for most of the session. This allows us to put him/her in positions that are adorable in photos with very little reluctance from our little model.

2. Wait to feed him/her till you get in the studio. This goes hand in hand with our first tip. When the baby has had a nice warm bath and combine that with a good feeding, we are most likely able to get a nice "in deep" sleep newborn. I know that for some this is an issue because most babies tend to sleep in the car ride to the studio. But if the baby hasn't had a full tummy before arriving at the studio, he or she will likely wake up again for a feeding.

3. Wear black or solid colored outfits. Although newborn sessions have come along way over the years and there are a ton of cute props that we can incorporate in our sessions, I always advice my clients to wear solid colored shirts, preferably black. Why? First it's a classic color. If you hang a photo of you and your sweet little baby on the wall, you won't worry about the image looking dated over the years because you have classic/neutral colors in the image. Second, black is slimming. Need I say more?

4. Don't bother with outfits. Focus on props (hats, bows or diaper covers). You probably got some really cute outfits saved for your baby. I advice you to save those for another session. Because babies come in such little bodies, any outfit that you put on them would look ginormous. We want the simple beauty of your baby to shine in the photos and having them swimming in some outfit would not look good. Not all images from your session will have the baby wearing only their birthday suits, I have some wraps and diaper covers to use which covers the baby perfectly without adding too much bulk. EXCEPTION: I have an exception to this rule. I have photographed some babies in their blessing outfits. Those ones I would exempt from this rule only if we can still see the baby's face.

5. Relax. Allot enough time for your session as the baby controls the flow of our photoshoot. You just had a baby and now you want to capture this special memory but if you're like me, you want it to be perfect. Let me be the first to tell you that it *might* not go perfectly as planned. My goal in each newborn session is to bring the natural beauty of each baby and capture the relationship of the newborn with his/her loved ones. With that being said, babies dictate how the session goes. Some sleep right off the bat, others take a while and some never do. I will do everything in my control to give you the best images but know that during these sessions, you just need to relax, enjoy the moment and hope for the best.

True story, this photo below is one of my favorites and it was taken in the beginning of my career as a photographer. We allotted two hours for the session and this little guy just wouldn't sleep. He was fed plus I made sure that the studio was nice and warm but still no luck to get him to doze off. At the last 15 minutes of our session, he finally went to sleep. Mom and I scrambled to work around him being in the basket and here's one of the results...

Like I said, the babies control the sessions but I know that with the five tips I've shared, we are closer to having a successful session.

If you or someone you know are getting ready to welcome a newborn, contact me today so we can schedule a photoshoot to capture this special moment in your family's life.

Signing off,
Grace

Comments

Popular Posts