Why are we not in our photographs? *Colorado Springs Family Photographer*


Since it's the month where we celebrate the dear mothers of the world, I'd like to talk to all the mama's out there. And my question to you is...why are you not in your family's photographs?

And no I'm not washing my hands here as I'm guilty of this as well. I'm so used to being behind the lens that sometimes I need to remind myself that I need to be INFRONT of the camera as well. 

We've heard of countless stories on why it's so important for us to be present in our pictures so here's my easy tips on how you can be "part of the action" and have that proof that you lived, loved and was loved!

1. The easiest way to be in front of the camera is to hand your precious memory keeping device to someone else. I try to hand the camera to my husband when we are out on a family activity or on special occasions. Sometimes when I have a certain vision in my head of how the image should look, I coach him and set the settings on my camera before handing it to him. I can get a bit nit picky on this and I'm grateful that he's so patient with me. 

2. The next tip I have is to learn how to access your shutter delay button/program in your camera. Most, if not all, DSLR's should have this. With this program, you can set up your shot and then place your camera either on a steady and leveled surface or on a tripod and then work the delay setting (check your manual for specifics on this) to where the shutter will automatically go off on a certain time after you press it. In my camera I can format it to how many seconds after I set it that it will fire but also how many shots it will take afterwards. My usual setting is at 10 seconds and that it will take two shots consecutively. 

3. The third one is to invest in a remote for your camera. I love taking photos of my family on Easter day. It's been our little tradition to wear new church clothes on Easter Sunday so to celebrate, we do a quick photo session. To set up for these shots, I secure my camera on a tripod (get a good sturdy one) and move the dial on my camera to release the shutter when the remote is pressed. I set other settings like ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed. I also dial in where I want my focus, which is usually the center and then walk back to my family who is patiently waiting and then press the remote. Remotes have certain distance length where it will work and with my experience, you can go about 3 yards away and it will still be read by the camera. The remote that I use for my Nikon cameras were inexpensive costing at just about $20 and it has been one of my best equipment investments. 

4. And finally my fourth suggestion is to hire a professional photographer, like me *wink*, to capture your family with you in it. I know  that there are many reasons why we are not in our photographs from not feeling like we will look good in the pictures to it's so expensive so I'll do it myself. I too had all those concerns floating in my head one time or another but I also know that my children won't remember the outfit that I was wearing in the photo or how heavy I was in the image. Instead, they will remember me, their mother and all the great memories that are associated with that. I'm not only preaching this but I also live it. I had spent a good amount of money to have a pro photographer take pictures of me and my family when we moved to Colorado. Yes it was expensive but I wouldn't trade those images and memories for anything. It was money well spent!

Remember that even though we are capturing memories for our families, once in a while, we still need to be a part of the photograph and not just a bystander to it.  


*The photograph above was taken last year around Mother's day using the remote technique and the picture below was taken last year at Easter Sunday using the delay shutter button technique. 


Signing off,
Grace

Comments

  1. Such great tips! :) And yes, I need to get in front of it more too! Great pics of the fam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for stopping by Allison. Hope the family is doing well. Missing you all, especially the Cali weather. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts